Reality bites.

By whattheharry - 12:18 PM

Today I sat in the bleachers at Plainfield Central High School for their graduation ceremonies.  My niece Sara graduated.  As I watched her march on the football field with all 614 students, I saw a woman.  Not a teenager.  Not a child.  A woman.  My niece, the one that always says, 'Aunt Melissa!' like I've done something wrong, is no longer a kid.  She's now an adult.  I loved seeing all the kids faces (yes, I can call them kids, as I am WAY older than them!) with high hopes and expectations for life after high school. 


Reality check.  Twenty years ago today I graduated from high school.  This means I am 20 years older, physically.  Mentally, I am probably still 18.  Though I go to the doctor and they give me test results for a 37 year old female.  Crap.  I'm not so young any more.  Where did it all go??  I probably need to do a life inventory for years 25 thru 36. 


Someday in the near future, Sara's high hopes and expectations of the world will come to a screaching halt.  Just like when it happened to me about 4 months into college.  School was twice as hard.  Keeping up the grades and the job forced me to learn time management and Mom wasnt on my back to get things done.  I was now accountable for ALL of my actions.  I dont want this to happen to her, but it will.  Its inevitable.  Happens to all of us.  I will be there for her when it does happen, because I cannot turn her away.  I love her too much. 


It was a good graduation party.  Grandparents and grandchildren. 


IMG_6409 


IMG_6424 


IMG_6426 


IMG_6410 


IMG_6418 


IMG_6438 


IMG_6444 


IMG_6445 


IMG_6456 


IMG_6462 


IMG_6464 


IMG_6466 


IMG_6475



  • Share:

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. What fantastic pictures! You are clearly a very loving aunt. Think of all the things you have already taught your nieces and nephews and all of the things you'll still teach them as life goes on! Who better than yourself to influence them with all of your amazing life experiences! You have a beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone does realize that life isn't what we expected -- I hope your niece finds out that it's better!!

    ReplyDelete