Things you thought you'd never use.

By whattheharry - 5:54 AM

IMG_2194


That magnet was sent home with me from the hospital after I delivered Max.  I threw it up on the fridge and really never thought twice about it, until the other night where I found it under grocery lists and Max's artwork. 


You see, I am a good mom.  I stay in the bathroom while Max is in the tub, I usually play with him.  But lately, I've been washing my face and brushing my teeth while he is in the tub.  Its been working out just fine.  However, one accident in the tub earlier this week led me to cleaning the tub twice before I felt it was *really* clean.  I left the Comet out on the side of the tub totally blanking on the fact that Max will find this.  And he will put it in his mouth. 


And so he did on Thursday evening.  And I completely freaked out.  A call to Poison Control, the emergency room and my dad (a chemist), and of course my mother (several times) were made.  Conclusion: not the best idea for Max, but not the worst either.  I have no idea if he ingested any, but took precautions as if he did.  Luckily, he's fine. 


Today, after our large motor class, we came home and I threw this stuff out.
IMG_2188


None of that stuff is good for the environment anyway.  And surely its not good for a 14 month old little boy.  I have found a recipe for a general purpose cleaner that is made from products we have in our households.  I heard it works, so we are going to give it a try.  I am not taking any chances, though I had these items locked up, Max can (and most likely will) figure out the ins/outs of the lock. 


IMG_2190


One quarter cup baking soda, one half cup vinegar and one half gallon of water.  Mix, put into clear spray bottle and go to town on your countertops!



  • Share:

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. I'm glad Max is ok. My son once ate an entire tube of toothpaste. Recently we went to a nature museum and there was an exhibit of how household cleaners affect the environment. I came home and switched to vinegar, backing soda and water. There's almost nothing it won't clean!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shh...I'll tell you something I didn't tell ANYONE else. (Hopefully none of them come here via blog hopping and see)...but about 2-3 weeks ago I had to call poison control because miri got out her stool and got my thyroid pills from the BACK of the counter. Apparently I'd not gotten the cap screwed on properly...she came to me with a mouth of blue goo. I totally freaked. She was totally fine...and the guy on the phone was awesome to me as I was crying, thinking I was the worst mother ever. So...it happens to everyone. I do applaud your decision to get rid of all that cleaner. We've been using non-toxic cleaners (and things like vinegar) since Miri was born. I am SO much more comfortable with them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blog hopping here and just waiting my turn for the poison control call. I have had to make the "my 6 year daughter just shoved a pea up her nose and we can't get it out" call, so I've taken a turn there.
    If you find you can't get something with the baking soda/vinegar combo, add some lemon juice. I'm a villian on my cast iron tub with the soda/lemon juice combo. Sparkles every time!!!
    Glad to hear everyone is well ;)

    ReplyDelete