#usingwhatisinthepantry

By whattheharry - 10:55 AM

Over the holidays I noticed my cabinets and pantry is packed full of goods that could be used (and should be used) for creating delicious meals.  I started googling for recipes to start using up all these items.  I mean I paid for them and they are just sitting in my house collecting dust and most likely going to waste as some I am sure have expired already. 

I'm pretty impressed with my creativity in accomplishing this task of using what is in the pantry, as I am not anywhere near a decent cook.  My food always turns out bland or overcooked.  But on some occasions, its decent. 

Especially my latest.  What else would you do with these two items?  Make chocolate pudding, of course.  Nothing to write home about but certainly better than the store bought ready-made stuff. 

I'll have to find the recipe and post it here but its simple 1 cup of hot chocolate mix (or 5 packets), 3 tablespoons of cornstarch and 2 cups milk.  Heat milk first, then add the dry mix, stir constantly until starts to thicken (took me maybe 3 to 4 minutes).  Remove from heat, pour into a container that can withstand the heat and refrigerate.  Makes about two cups. 


Add oven mit after a minute or two as you start to burn your hand (or that is just me!).


Add plastic wrap to top to prevent that nasty film from forming and refrigerate for atleast a couple of hours.  I did it overnight, and this is the finish product before giving it a good stir.  


Once I gave it that good stir I mentioned, its nice and creamy and a little too sweet for my liking, but still pretty good.  It definitely needs some whip cream for the top. 

Anyone else have recipes for Cornstarch?  I have a ton of it - two containers in fact.  

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments