2011 Home Goals.

By whattheharry - 2:38 AM

Every year for work, I have to write up goals for me to attain that year.  I always dread them because I never know what will happen or what to shoot for if I cant predict the workload.  Since its January again, I have been thinking about what I want to attain this year.  Most of these thoughts are around work, but after reading The Nester's post on her home goals for the year, it made me think, what is it that I want to accomplish this year for my home? 


Since moving is really out of the question with the housing market as it is, and I am not ready financially to take on that expense, I've decided to make some upgrades in the current residence.  I pulled out a notebook last weekend, and walked through my entire house writing down what I want to change.  Three pages later, I realize I dont have the budget for everything this year.  So I prioritized them. 


Numero Uno.
Living room


Replace the carpet on the first floor.  I have been going back and forth with should I get new carpet or laminate flooring?  I see the benefits of both.  Carpet - soft floor for Max's quest to move and be independent.  Absorbs some of the cold living on a slab.  Laminate - updates the look of the first floor, can provide a seamless look.  And can handle all sorts of spills of food and drinks. 


Number Two.
Kitchen


Replace the kitchen cabinet doors.  When I had the house built, I had a small upgrade budget.  I had to prioritize all the upgrades I wanted and these awful cabinets didnt make the list.  Thankfully the cabinet frames are solid wood, just the doors are crap. 


Number Three to Infinity.  All sorts of things ranging from replacing light fixtures to a complete master bedroom redesign (new bed frame, proper nightstands, paint, curtains, etc).  I think Number 25 is replace stove, dishwasher and fridge with a stainless package (not only for updating to a more efficient model, but it seems to be a selling point). 


We'll see if Number Two gets completed this year.  Numero Uno might suck up the entire budget.  If so, I could probably squeeze in a few little things ... light fixtures, faucets, paint. 


What are your house goals for 2011?  Do you have one thing in your house you roll your eyes at everyday (ie, my cabinets!)? 



  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. A great post! I have a lot of things I want to do...painting my bedroom and redoing the bathroom are at the top! That, and all those "little" things...lots of those. :)

    ReplyDelete