Let the diet begin.

By whattheharry - 11:51 PM

Seriously.  I need to drop a few 'l-b's'.  According to the medical standards, my BMI is in the Obese category.  Now, if  you see me, I am surely not anywhere near the obese.  However, the extra baggage I have in my mid-section does need to go. 


After consuming ten days of heavy, rich, flavorful food that was heavenly! (i'll give that to the hungarians, they sure do know how to cook a good meal!), I need to get focused on losing, getting back into shape.  (and I promised my OB that I would be at the agreed upon weight at my next visit...which is a few short weeks from now!)


I flipped through a few cookbooks to find some recipes and I came across these two. 
1.  Not as bad as I thought. 
2.  SO easy to make. 



Cake


Yes, you see that right.  Brownie, or chocolate ginger spice cake.  I am not a big fan of chocolate cake, but this one tastes more like a brownie.  Get ready for this ... the ingredients.


Chocolate Ginger Spice Squares - The FOUR Ingredient cookbook, Light
1 package dry gingerbread mix
2 (3.4oz) packages of fat-free chocolate pudding mix (not instant)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup water
*i used regular pudding; the fat-free, low-fat items have too many artifical ingredients for me


Prehead oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients togehter, and pour into 13x9 non-stick pan.  Bake for 30 minutes.


Calories per square (2"x2") - 80
Total fat - 2.5g
Sodium - 175mg
Carbs - 14g
Cholesterol - 0mg


As you can see, not too bad.  It might be a little dry or chewy for some people, but with strawberries or vanilla frozen yogurt, it fits the bill for having a sweet on the diet.


Potato salad


Great American Potato Salad - Kraft's Make it Simple cookbook
3/4 cup Miracle Whip or Miracle Whip light
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
4 cups cubed cooked red potatoes
1/2 cup each - sweet pickle relish and sliced celery
Salt and pepper


*here's where I changed things up a bit.  I used traditional plain greek yogurt in my dressing.  I did 1/2 cup yogurt, and 1/4 cup regular miracle whip (again, fat-free, low-fat have too many artifical ingredients).  I increased the mustard to 1 tablespoon.  I omitted the celery seed and relish as I did not have any in the house.  In my sample tasting, it fits the bill for the ultimate summer side dish.


I dont have the numbers on this one. 


Do you have any favorite recipes that fall into the 'healthy' eating category? 



  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments