Kindle vs. Actual book.

By whattheharry - 1:48 PM

Kindle 
*photo from Amazon


What is wrong with this picture?  Would you read a book on a handheld device? 


Today the iPad was introduced and its main purpose is to compete with the Kindle.  I scratch my head at these gadgets and the concepts behind them - reading novels electronically.  I get the electronic part, and the gadget part, but I dont get the 350 page novel part.  How can you read that many pages on a handheld device?   Thats a whole heck of a lot of scrolling and I think my thumb is already preparing its picket sign. 


All I see is the lack of the cracking of the book binding.  The lack of dog-eared pages.  The lack of rusty mildew smells if the book is a library book.  What would I use for a bookmark?  There would be no cover flaps, or fancy bookmarks I've gotten over the years or best yet, the receipt from the bookstore or library with the date due.  All of these elements add to the experience of reading the content on the pages. 


So for those Kindle or iPad users, I hope you are enjoying your latest gadget.  As for me, I'll continue enjoying my library card. 



  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. There is no way I am ever buying a Kindle or whatever. For me reading is an experience. One that includes the touch & feel of the books pages & cover. Turning the pages physically is as well a part of that.
    Curling up in a blanket with a Kindle or other electronic device just isn't the same.

    ReplyDelete