Eat local.

By whattheharry - 3:32 PM

Cornstalks


Being budget conscious and wanting to eat healthy cannot be in the same sentence.  Eating healthy nowadays is expensive, which infringes upon other areas in the budget (and in my house the first area to sacrifice in the budget is Entertainment).  Its a terrible catch-22 that the food industry has us in.  However, since the 'green' movement has kicked into high gear over the last years, more and more people are growing their own. 


Why not? I see these as the benefits for having your own veggie garden:
-financial - you arent paying for overhead to run a store and employee benefits.  And if you dont grown your own, but purchase from a local farmer, you are supporting them.
-health - pesticides are most likely not used in your backyard or local farm like they are used in the giant conglomerate food chain farms.  Taking the over exposure to these out of the question, I think, allows you to enjoy the true flavor.
-endless cooking possibilties that could run into one or both areas mentioned above.  For example, cucumbers can be pickled.  Fruit can be jammed.  Pumpkin can be breaded or pied. 


IMG_6771


I am very inspired to make as much of my own as possible.  Breads, jams, pickles, granolas, etc.  I have very clear memories of my mother doing the same.  She has a canning set in the basement (I think its still there) that made the best apple jelly.  I know she has a slicer that was used to slice cucumbers, zucchini and squash grown in my Dad's backyard garden (this is also the same slicer that she was using the night my brother flipped over the chair and had to go the ER! ... weird how I have this association, isnt it?)  


To go blueberry picking now (as in now, like this is the time to get picking, late July-early August): Tammen Treeberry Farm


To go apple picking this coming season: Garden Patch Farms.


Homemade Salsa recipe for fresh from the garden tomatoes: Fresh Salsa Recipes.


Simple jamming recipe: Easy Blueberry Jelly.


And if you are going to make jelly, toast is a must! : Simple Whole Wheat Bread.


Enjoy!



  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments