What type of parent are you?

By whattheharry - 12:42 AM

IMG_0251
*Max, 4 weeks


Next week Max starts attending daycare, so I've been busy completing his registration paperwork and collecting the items they need to have in his classroom for him.  During the orientation, the primary caregiver for Max asked how he liked to sleep, immediately assuming on his back.  I said no, he sleeps on his stomach.  Up went the eyebrows, the eyes got big and then she forced a smile.  She told me that its state law and the day care center policy that if he cannot turn over by himself, he will be put to sleep on his back.  WHOA!  Hold the phone!  Max doesnt sleep on his back, a decision I made on the 2nd day home from the hospital.  I watched him sleep on his side and it just looked downright uncomfortable.  And I am completely against back sleeping for all sorts of digestive problem reasons and flat head reasons. 


I had to call Max's doctor to get a note stating that Max has to sleep on his stomach.  I was a bit shocked after reading the note, which basically said that I wasnt following the recommendations of the American Pediatric Association.  I realized I am one of 'those' parents because I have my child sleep on his stomach. 


Lock me up for this.  And before you do, be sure to make me eat brussel sprouts, because I also am a big advocate of getting babies in the water as young as possible.  I dont want Max to be afraid of water.  I want him to be able to enjoy swimming and playing around in the surf.  I want him to know the joys of childhood water related activities.  I believe many parents are shy of the water with their newborns or infants because of the sun and exposing them to harmful rays and chemicals.  I am smart about this, I either lather Max up with suntan lotion, or I wait until early evening when the sun is setting.  I also give Max a bath after any time spent in a pool.  Dont we take showers after swimming?  Why would it be any different for Max? 


I wish I had filmed Max in my friend Ria's pool last Saturday.  He immediately smiled and then was consistently throwing his head back and legs up to float.  He loved it!  It was so natural to him to be in the water. 


IMG_0612
*Max, 11 weeks


Everyone parents in their own way.  I am going with my gut feeling, my intuition.  It feels right doing so. 



  • Share:

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. My brother and I slept on our stomach and we were fine! Here in US there is a lot of rules (not in third world countries). You are doing the right thing, follow your instinct and your gut! You are a great mom!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are doing a great job and having a great time being a Mom! Good for you! Hopefully I will meet little Max soon!

    ReplyDelete