Cloth.

By whattheharry - 10:17 PM

IMG_0879 


I have started incorporating cloth diapers into the mix for Max.  This was originally driven by the fact that he has won the title of, Super Soaker, after a three night run of soaking the bed.  I had to remove sheet and pad because they were soaked.  I also had to wipe down the mattress with a wet cloth to make sure there wasnt any Soaker residue. 


My mother had said my brother was like this and she would double up his cloth diapers when it was time for bed.  Not one to shy away from advice from an experienced diaper-er, I took to the internet (thank you Rebekah) with information from my cousin who is using cloth. 


I found that cloth diapering is not the same as what our mothers used to do.  Nor is it as difficult as I had originally thought.  As seen above in the picture, Max is wearing an All-in-One cloth diaper.  Looks just like a disposable.  And the nice super soft poly lining doesnt allow the you know what to stick which makes for easy cleaning. 


I've done enough research on this topic to literally make myself dizzy from all the 'this is better for the environment'.  If I dont have the trash from the disposables, I am using more water in the three additional loads of laundry per week.  And on the flip, if I conserve water, I am adding to the landfills.  There is no win to this.  So in the end its a personal choice. (And I guess, its a wash, literally.  For the 20 or so disposables I dont use/throw out, I use enough water for an extra load of laundry.)


I like the fact that I can have both.  I like having Max use the cloth when we are at home and for sleeping.  I like having the disposables for when we are out and about.  Max isnt complaining and so far the extra work needed to have clean diapers hasnt gotten in the way of other duties or quality time with Max.  What exactly does all this mean really?  I like them.  I like the fact that they are soft and comfy on Max's body, so the cloth will be sticking around. 



  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Wow Great work. I had no idea that the new cloth diapers had a lining that was really softer for the baby. And the "you know what doesn't stick"!
    It seems that the cost savings would be a major difference here?
    It is hard to fathom that the disposable diapers I used on my children, now in their mid 30's, are still sitting in a landfill with billions of others not able to biodegrade. And the disposable diapers seem to have some junk chemicals in them so who knows what they possibly do the the babies and the environment.
    Anyway, have fun with Kelly and the twins on Sat. and keep posting all of those great pics of Max!

    ReplyDelete