Summer Reading

By whattheharry - 9:32 AM

IMG_6743 


Its the season ... Summer Reading Season.  Every year for as long as I can remember, at the begining of the summer, my mother would take my brother and I to the library to sign up for the summer reading program.  We would then get to select a handful of books to bring home.  Not sure about my brother, but I looked forward to this event.  Not only was I able to run around the neighborhood for hours on end, go swimming, stay up late, but I'd also get to read what I wanted.  No curriculum, no boring books about some guy in 1822.  Books that I wanted to read. 


Nowadays, I can read what I want all the time, but there is still something about the summer and reading.  Not sure if its the lazy days, like today, sitting in the backyard, enjoying the just right weather or if its the childhood memory that lingers. 


Usually I go to the library to round out the experience of summer reading, but this year I've decided to read the books that are sitting on my nightstand. 


Petropolis by Anya Ulinich.  The tag line on the front cover is what sold me, ' A husband is not a luxury, but a form of transportation!', from one character to the main character when deciding what the Moscow mail order bride services will bring her.


Domestic Pleasures by Beth Gutcheon.  I have no idea where I got this book.  Its been sitting on the nightstand for a good two years.  (oops!)


Mergers + Acquisitions by Dana Vachon.  New York. Manhattan social scene. Scandals.  Need I say more? 


I have no deadline to finish these, like the library programs, but I do have the goal to finish all of them!  Sooner than later!


What are you reading this summer?  



  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments