Sweet Home Chicago

By whattheharry - 4:52 PM

B0001672  (trying new picture size)


I wanted to write this impressive post about my love for Chicago, the feelings I have whenever I set foot within the city limits.  I've started this post several times, only to hit the delete button several times.  Like many things today, I give up.  Here it is.


I love Chicago.  My roots are here in city, dating all the way back to 1909.  My grandmother lived on the north side, my grandfather on the south side.  They married at Holy Name Cathedral.  My mother was born at Little Company of Mary hospital.  When I set foot in the city, I feel this proverbial root leave my body through my feet and attach to the soul of Chicago. 


I feel so connected to it, I wonder if I should be living there to harbor that connection even further.  Or is it just my history, my blood ties to Chicago that are saying, 'you're home' when I am there.  Either way, its a comforting feeling.  One that I carry with me when I walk along the lake front, people watch in Grant Park, play tour guide to out of town visitors, taxi boat rides, Wrigley Field, Comisky Park (if I have to), West Loop dining, Buck Town shopping. 


I dont mind looking like a tourist or dork when I get this kind of picture taken:
IMG_3525 


Or pictures of this:
IMG_3625 


Or when I sit at the lake front and set my eyes on this, the most beautiful skyline I've ever seen:
IMG_1002 


I was there just one short week ago and I miss it already.  In due time I will make it back there and I will enjoy that warming, comforting 'you're home' feeling once again. 



  • Share:

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. I've only been on Chicago once, on a lay-over for our flight. I've only seen it from the airport but I hope o be able to visit someday. Big city, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Big city! Can probably fit the entire island of Maui into the city limits!! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you [finally] posted this! ;o) I live just North of Chicago, and can soooo relate to your perspective on this great city. It's a beautiful concrete jungle!

    ReplyDelete