Dec 19.

By whattheharry - 10:33 AM

Dec 19
*Kris Kringle Market, Daley Plaza, Chicago


This is the second year that I've made it to the Kris Kringle Market in Chicago.  This market has vendors come in from all over the world - mostly Germany, Poland and the Ukraine - selling traditional european food and trinkets.  The glass blown vases and ornaments are the best.  Unique and colorful and beautiful.  I cannot leave there without consuming some spiced wine (though not this year) or roasted nuts.  I sit here and type this all the while consuming roasted cashews and cinnamon roasted almonds.  I could have gone for the Apple Strudel, as seen above, but the line was too long to wait, especially today when the weather was raining, snowing and just all around crappy.  Thankfully it wasnt super windy or freezing cold! 


My friend Jessica believes that the city should pay all the street performers.  They were out in full force today, on each street corner.  And in the El stops. 


Street perf 


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Each time I ride the El, I am reminded of my grandmother's memories she had of the Elevators (their full name, as they are trains 'elevated' throughout the city).  She was a 'north'-sider and my grandfather a 'south'-sider.  Back in the 30's, the north side then is surely not what the north side is today.  Same with the south side.  But still, Pop-pop had to take the Orange Elevator to the Blue Elevator, all the way to the end, and then walk 8 blocks to see Grandma every Sunday.  It was true love.  I miss my grandmother's memories.  (especially the ones where she dishes on pop-pop...like the time when she locked him out of the house for coming home late! heehee! Love you Grandma!)



  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments